Ben Brumfield, Marilia Brocchetto – 05/30/2013
When Brazilian judges announced their decision to grant bail to the defendants in a nightclub fire that killed 242 people, a woman in the courtroom let out a yell.
Her son died when a botched pyrotechnic display set concertgoers ablaze at the Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria in January.
For many loved ones attending the hearing, it felt as if those responsible for the deaths were getting off scot-free. Anger and disappointment at the decision spread Wednesday.
AP/ABC News, 05/23/2013
Little has been done to improve the safety of public gathering places since a nightclub fire killed 242 people earlier this year in southern Brazil, relatives of the victims said Wednesday.
The relatives met in Brasilia to discuss what safety measures have been adopted in Brazil since the Jan. 27 fire that destroyed the Kiss nightclub in the city of Santa Maria.
“Almost nothing has been done to improve the safety of nightclubs,” said Adherbal Alves Ferreira, whose 22-year-old daughter, Jennefer, perished in the fire. “We need more vigorous laws and demand they be followed and obeyed.”
Stan Lehman – The Miami Herald, 02/12/2013
SAO PAULO — A fire on a Carnival float has killed four people and injured five in the Brazilian port city of Santos.
A fire department official says the float caught fire shortly after the Sangue Jovem samba school ended its parade at dawn on Tuesday. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.
He says three of the victims were pushing the float. A woman watching the parade was the fourth. The condition of the five injured was not immediately known.
Bradley Brooks – Associated Press, 02/08/2013
Just over a week since a nightclub fire killed nearly 240 revelers in southern Brazil, Carnival festivities hit full stride Friday, raising questions about the safety of those who will pack party spaces across the nation.
In the days following the deadly blaze at the Kiss club in the university town of Santa Maria, authorities across Brazil increased fire inspections and closed dozens of clubs in many major cities, mostly citing problems with the establishments’ paperwork.
But most of the clubs have already reopened — leading fire experts to say few changes were put in place to really improve safety for patrons.
Eduardo Simões, Caroline Staffer, & Mohammad Zargham – Reuters, 02/05/2013
A 20-year-old man died on Tuesday from injuries sustained during a January 27 fire at a nightclub in southern Brazil, bringing the death toll from the disaster to 238 and adding to concerns it may rise further.
The health department for Rio Grande do Sul state, where the Kiss nightclub in the college town of Santa Maria is located, did not give a precise cause for the death at the Santa Rosa hospital in Porto Alegre, the state’s capital.
Investigators last week said most of the deaths occurred when victims inhaled toxic fumes, such as cyanide, after a flare lit by a band member ignited soundproofing foam in the ceiling, turning the club into a gas chamber in minutes.
Global Post, 02/03/2013
A 22-year-old man injured in the disco fire in Brazil has died, bringing the death toll to 237, officials said Sunday.
The health secretariat of Rio Grande do Sul state said Bruno Portella Fricks died in a Porto Alegre hospital late Saturday from injuries he suffered in last Sunday’s blaze in the college town of Santa Maria.
He was among a total of 114 injured still being treated in various hospitals in Porto Alegre and Santa Maria, the secretariat said in a statement.
Daniela Ades, Paulo Prada, & Vicki Allen – Reuters, 02/01/2013
A 20-year-old woman late Thursday succumbed to injuries from the nightclub fire in the southern Brazilian college town of Santa Maria, pushing the death toll from the disaster last weekend up to 236.
Civil defense authorities in Rio Grande do Sul, the state where Santa Maria is located, said the victim suffered a heart attack while struggling with injuries that included burns on more than half her body.
An additional 126 people remain hospitalized after the fire, which was caused by an outdoor flare lit by a musician performing at the Kiss nightclub. The flare, investigators say, ignited overhead soundproofing, a synthetic foam that burned and within minutes spread toxic fumes throughout the venue.